Review; Wing Sung 3009 Piston-Filled Demonstrator.

The Wing Sung 3009 is my favorite piston-filled demonstrator fountain pen so far.

The 3009 I received came in a 4-pack of EF-nibbed models in a variety of colors. There is the clear model featured here, as well as versions with colored caps and piston knobs in fluorescent pink, purple and yellow. There is a 4-pack of F-nibbed models as well, which substitute a green model for the fully clear model. I opted for the EF pack specifically for the fully clear model. You could very likely swap either just the nib from a F-nibbed model if you’d like. These are Lamy-style nibs, so you could always buy those instead for a wider variety of widths, and for a more robust nib. More on that in a bit.

As mentioned, this is a fully clear piston-filled demonstrator with a Lamy-style EF nib, totally clear section and feed which shows off the ink inside very well, and a totally clear piston assembly, minus the piston itself which is black. Unusually, this is the only pen of this type where I have seen the entire piston assembly behind the piston filled with fluid. The blind cap/piston knob is quite easy to use and features a click-lock at the very top of its range of motion to keep the piston from inadvertently getting bumped and twisting while writing or in your pocket, which would force ink out of the pen and would be disastrous. The clear twist-off cap does post securely, and on the body, not on the piston knob, but it makes the pen quite long and imbalanced. Thankfully 3009 is long enough to write with quite comfortably unposted.

The nib was the single best EF I have ever written with, at least at first. It was incredibly smooth on Rhodia DOT pad with Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu ink, with zero feedback. When testing line variation I was quite surprised with the difference, but then when I continued to write, the line was now more of a Fine-Medium. Yup, I sprung it. Probably my fault, but I feel like I wasn’t even using much pressure at all. I was able to carefully put a little pressure in reverse writing position to put the nib back in place, but this proved too easy to do as well, the damage had been done. These are very soft nibs. You can see the wave in the nib in the last picture. Disappointing, maybe. But as I mentioned before, the rest of this pen is my definition of perfection in a piston-filled demonstrator and Lamy-style nibs are cheap and easy to replace and come in a variety of widths. I will buy a replacement nib and enjoy this pen immensely for years to come, I’m sure.

Also of note, the piston knob on 3 of the 4 of the 3009s I received clicked nicely into place at the top of its range of motion, while 1 did lock but did not really click like the others. Of course, this was the fully transparent model I was planning to keep for myself. In trying to correct that, I did determine that these disassemble by gripping the metal ring just under the piston knob and twisting. I swapped the knob and cap with one from one of the fluorescent models and “Voilà!”, my clear demonstrator now clicked satisfyingly.

So, there you have it. Probably way too much information on an inexpensive fountain pen that you all should try.
 
Highly recommended. 4.5 Stars.

https://amzn.to/2ybNibE



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Jinhao 8802 “Shell”

Review: Jinhao 992 Light Blue Demonstrator, EF Nib