Mini-review: Lanbitou 3059 Piston Fill Clear Demonstrator

Pros:
• Aesthetics. I’m a sucker for a clear demonstrator, especially piston-filled, and this one is just gorgeous, especially when filled with an interesting (and not too dark) ink.
• Price. I paid just over $2 shipped on eBay, arrived in about 2 weeks.
• Fully transparent. Unlike it’s obvious inspiration, this pen has a totally clear section and feed, really showing off whatever ink you choose to run in it.
• Maintenance. Again, unlike the pen this is somewhat modeled after, the disassembly and reassembly require no tools. Simply unscrew the metal ring just below the piston knob, and you’re good. Even better, the piston assembly itself is self-synchronizing, meaning no more fussing around with the alignment during reassembly.
• Locking piston knob. When the piston is raised all the way up, turn the knob just a little further and it will click reassuringly, locking the piston into place, so you don’t have to worry about pushing any ink out if/when you bump the knob while handling and writing. Honestly, this one feature alone is worth buying the pen for and should be included on all piston fillers.


Cons:
• Cap does not post. Thankfully, this pen is long enough that you don’t really need it to.
• F nibs only. Personal preference, some people will like these nibs (although I will say I had to massage this one open a bit to get it to write initially). Thankfully, Lamy replacements fit, come in a variety of sizes and can be had for not a lot of money.
• Storage. With the very squared-off ends I had a little difficulty getting this into my favorite 12-pen case, but it’s a very minor point and I’m really reaching here.

I found this particular 0.5 F "Lamy-style"  nib to have a bit more feedback than I like, and as mentioned, I had to massage it open a bit to even get it to write, but I suspect I just got a bad one and I prefer Medium nibs anyway. I fully intend to order a Lamy Medium nib for this when I’m able and I’m sure I’ll love this pen to death from then on. Everything else about it is awesome. Also of note but not really a pro or con, is this pen has a Lamy-style hexagonal section, with 3 sides intended for positioning your fingers. It’s comfortable and unobtrusive so I don’t mind it either way.

This one gets 4.5 Stars. Highly recommended.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review; Wing Sung 3009 Piston-Filled Demonstrator.

Review: Jinhao 8802 “Shell”

Review: Jinhao 601